Nashville would take a lead twice, give it up twice, head to their third shootout, and grab their third shootout loss, losing to Anaheim 3-2 on a Corey Perry shootout goal. The Predators now are 1-1-3 on the season, 1-1-1 on the current road trip, and will be at Phoenix on Monday night for the fourth game of the seven game roadtrip.
NOTES FOR THE NIGHT
1) Goodness, I’m wondering how man times Nashville can take a lead and then give it up at some point in time during the game. Nashville has had a lead in 4 of their 5 games. The three they gave it up in all ended up as shootout losses.
2) Patric Hornqvist took a Shea Weber cannon blast off his upper thigh during the third period. He came back out later on but was fell upon by Ryan Getzlaf during a tie-up on the boards in the corner. He didn’t come back to finish the game.
3) If the loss of Hornqvist is lengthy, which right now sounds like it is, I’d expect an immediate call-up from Milwaukee. Possibly Mueller, maybe a Watson/Beck/Latta/Henderson, but not 100% on any of that.
4) Nashville’s penalty kill went 4-4 tonight, now at 12-15 for the season (80%). They’ve killed off 10 of the last 11 penalties they’ve faced.
5) The Predators HAVE to finish games out. They currently stand 5 points behind Chicago (5-0-0) in the division, 3 points behind St. Louis (4-1-0), 1 point ahead of Detroit (2-2-0), and only 2 points ahead of Columbus (1-3-1). Every point counts in this shortened season.
Powerplay – 0 for 3, 0%
Penalty Kill – 4 for 4, 100%
Best Play of the Game: Legwand finds a Kevin Klein rebound and slides it past Viktor Fasth to give Nashville a 2-1 lead midway into the third period
Worst Play of the Game: Hal Gill lets Daniel Winnick just meander right past him and put home the game tying goal off a beauty of a Corey Perry pass shortly after Nashville took a 2-1 lead.
My Three Stars:
#1: – Viktor Fasth
#2: – Corey Perry
#3: – Brandon Yip
See you Monday night as the Predators travel to Phoenix to take on Coyotes in the fourth game of this 7-game road trip. Game is at 9:00pm CT